Immigrating to Sweden

Immigrating to Sweden

Obtaining a new job or position is just one step in the relocation process. Like many countries, Sweden authorities have numerous requirements that must be met to legally reside and work here. We have the knowledge and experience to guide you through immigration swiftly and provide guidance and advice to ensure you are compliant with all government regulations.

Residence permits and regulations for working in Sweden

The rules for moving to Sweden for work vary depending on your country of citizenship. Common to all workers staying longer than six months in Sweden is that you can bring your family, and that they also receive the right to study or work.

Citizens of non-EU countries:

Citizens of non-EU countries must apply for a work permit in order to work in Sweden. This information outlines the process for applying for a standard work permit.

Citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand or South Korea between the ages of 18 and 30 can also apply for a working holiday visa for up to one year; see the Migration Board’s website for more information on working holiday visas.

For employment that lasts less than three months, citizens of certain countries must have both a work permit and a visa. Also note that employees in certain fields may be exempt from work permit regulations.

Citizens of EU countries:

As an EU citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without permits. You can start working as soon as you enter Sweden; you also have the right to come to Sweden to look for a job. Your family also has the right to join you in Sweden as long as you have right of residence in Sweden. You can read more about right of residence at the Swedish Migration Board’s website.

When entering Sweden, you and any accompanying family members must have a valid passport or national ID card showing your citizenship.

More information about work permits:

Photo by: Simon Paulin/
Photo by: Simon Paulin/
Copyright 2015 Destination Lund | All Rights Reserved